Looking for ways to conserve energy at home? Check out these helpful tips to help manage and reduce your energy consumption through home automation. Learn how to improve energy efficiency, without compromising on comfort or cost.
Smart home energy efficiency
Home automation systems can help you stay on top of your energy usage. One of the biggest advantages of implementing smart home energy management is remote access and programmable settings, which help reduce waste. You can easily manage and monitor everything from your lights and thermostat to your garage door from the convenience of your smartphone. Here are some home automation products to consider:
- Smart thermostats. If you forgot to turn the thermostat down after you’ve already left for the day, you can remotely adjust the settings from a WiFi-connected computer, tablet, or smartphone. Some smart thermostats can even keep track of the weather and adjust accordingly. This allows them to anticipate severe fluctuations in outside temperature to avoid the sudden adjustments to the system that make it work harder and waste energy.
- Smart lighting. You can ensure the lights are on whenever you need them, adjust levels with a dimmer option, and save energy by shutting off lights remotely when you’re not at home. Some smart light bulbs allow you to create an energy efficient lighting schedule that turns your lights on and off at preprogrammed times, or after a room has been vacant for a set amount of time.
- Smart appliances and outlets. Today’s smart appliances and smart outlets mean you can control your appliances remotely, so you’ll never have to worry whether or not you turned off your iron or coffee machine.
- Smart blinds. Remote-controlled blinds also help you regulate the amount of light and heat entering your home. Preprogram your blinds to raise or lower at certain times of the day, and reduce the amount of strain placed on your HVAC system.
- Smart home energy monitors. These monitors allow you to get an overall look of the energy usage in your home to identify inefficiencies. Get insights sent right to your smartphone and pinpoint where you use (and lose) the most energy each month.
More ways to save electricity at home
Try some of these energy-saving habits to help you conserve electricity at home while also slashing your energy bill:
- Unplug infrequently-used appliances and electronics.
- Turn computers to “sleep” or “hibernate” mode when not in use.
- Install dimming switches for frequently used lights. Choose dimmer lighting when possible and turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Check windows and doors for drafts and replace sealing or caulking where necessary.
- When it’s time to replace appliances, choose energy-efficient models.
You can actively save energy each day by using smart home technology. Consider installing home automation systems to make your home more comfortable and energy efficient. Learn more about Xfinity Home and how we can help here.