With so many different options, selecting the best security system for your home can be overwhelming. Today’s systems offer a huge range of benefits to homeowners, including protection, comfort, time-saving advantages, automation, and eco-friendly options. Use this handy home security system guide to determine the right security system for your individual needs, and learn about the features of Xfinity Home’s system today.
Understanding home security systems
Not all security systems are alike. It's important to evaluate how the system is used, installed, and controlled. Before you decide on one for your home, consider each of these factors:
- Monitored vs. unmonitored. The best monitored home security systems, like those offered by Xfinity Home, have a 24/7 professional monitoring center that notifies the authorities when an alarm is triggered. For the most secure connection, look for a cellular or broadband monitoring connection. These use cellular reception and Internet service, respectively, to monitor your home and alert the authorities (and you) of any security issues. Those who live in more rural areas without great cellular reception may need a landline to stay connected to the monitoring center.
On the other hand, you can also install WiFi-enabled cameras that are not part of a fully monitored system. You can access these cameras from your smartphone or computer at any time, and check in on your home. Xfinity Home offers cloud-based storage for camera footage, so you can easily locate and watch any past footage you may have missed. The cameras can also be paired with motion sensors that send push notifications to your phone if they detect any unusual movement in (or around) your home.
- DIY vs. professional installation. A traditional wired, monitored system requires professional installation, which allows you to sit back as the technician takes care of the entire process for you. Professional security technicians can provide a personalized assessment of your home, while determining your specific security needs and requirements. These professionals can also provide a demonstration or tutorial on how to use your new home security system.
If you’re placing WiFi-connected cameras and sensors around your home, you can choose to set up the security system yourself. However, at Xfinity Home, we recommend you make use of our professionals, who can help you find the optimal placement for different parts of the system.
- Cost. A security system is a significant investment, but you shouldn’t have to break the bank to feel more secure in your home. It's possible to save money and stay safe at the same time. Choose the best system you can afford, or consider piecing together your own DIY system with smart home devices and sensors for a more affordable option.
Innovative home security technology, like that offered through Xfinity Home, helps homeowners save time and energy with smart thermostats, locks, lighting, and more. Save on your monthly bills without compromising on convenience; in fact, a home security system can even help you save money on your homeowner’s insurance.
Home security features to look for
Home security systems offer different equipment options based on your custom needs. Xfinity Home security and automation equipment options include:
- Security cameras. These are the lifeblood of security systems. Cameras keep an eye on your home at all times. You can choose whether you want to monitor the footage yourself via your smartphone, or have a team of professionals keep an eye on it for you.
- Motion sensors and smoke detectors. Today's connected technology reaches a new level of home awareness, letting you know if a door or window is opened, or if fire and carbon monoxide detectors have yielded any abnormal readings. With a notification sent right to your phone in real time, you can act instantly.
- Remote access and alerts. Home security equipment can often be adjusted with a touch screen controller, wireless key pad, or desktop portal. The Xfinity Home apps has made it even easier for subscribers to monitor their home automation settings on a smart phone, tablet, or laptop. You can even watch the camera feed through your TV.
- Home automation integration. With advancements in smart home technology, there are a variety of tasks that you can automate in your home to better fit your lifestyle and schedule – and these devices can be conveniently integrated into your home security system. It's now easier than ever to control lights, temperature, and more smart home features with the touch of a button, and from anywhere.
- Easy upgrades. Systems like Xfinity Home allow users to add additional devices and upgrade equipment within their home security packages at any time. If you already have a home security system in place, you can often utilize this equipment even if you switch providers, or move into a new home.
- Round-the-clock protection. The best home alarm systems provide security at all times without disruption. A system with battery and cellular back-up means users never have to worry about a service outage or a network interruption. So, when you lose power, you don't have to compromise your security. Choosing a system with professional monitoring also allows for constant protection.
The best home security systems keep your home safe at all times and have the features that work best for your lifestyle. See how Xfinity Home can help you find one that’s right for you.