When it comes to your apartment security, it only takes one minor incident to leave you feeling vulnerable, or at risk. Fortunately, there are many affordable alarm systems designed to help protect you, your apartment, and your loved ones. Use these tips to find the best security system for your rental, and see how Xfinity Home can help.
Can you get a security system in an apartment?
If you're renting an apartment, you may have already signed a rental lease detailing the rules you must follow during your time in your rented space. While the rules vary for different apartment complexes, there are many wireless security systems that don’t require any drilling, wiring, or professional installation. These landlord-friendly devices are the best options for renters who have limited freedom over changing their space. As a bonus, you can take these wireless systems with you when you move.
The benefits of wireless apartment security systems
With today's security systems, you can keep your guard up without tearing your walls down. Wireless home security systems don't require wires or cables; instead, they utilize WiFi and radio waves to communicate between the control panel and cameras and other devices. These smart home devices for renters provide improved apartment security and can easily be integrated with your smart home system, including your lights and thermostats. They also allow you to monitor your home even when you’re not there.
Here are some of the many benefits associated with wireless home security systems:
- They’re easy to move when you do.
- You can keep to the terms of your lease – no hardwiring needed.
- You can connect your smart security system to other smart home devices.
- You can monitor your system remotely from anywhere at any time, using your smartphone, computer, or tablet.
The setup is also much easier than a wired system. That means your security system doesn't need to be installed by a maintenance professional. In most cases, all you need to do is check with your landlord first, then install the system yourself.
Choosing an apartment security system
Consider a renter-friendly security system for your apartment with these features:
- Interior security camera: Keep an eye on the inside of your home with one or more indoor security cameras. These are good single-room security system options, as you can view the entirety of your studio apartment with one camera. While some WiFi-enabled cameras may have electrical cords, they don’t need to be hardwired like some older versions do.
- Exterior security camera: Depending on the terms of your lease, you may be able to place a WiFi-enabled security camera outside your front or back door. These traditional models are often the best security cameras for condos, or for standalone apartments that aren’t part of a complex.
- Window and door alarms: The best alarms for renters include motion-activated sensors on doors and windows. Simply stick these battery-powered pressure sensors onto all points of entry, and they’ll detect any activity.
How to improve your apartment security
Living in an apartment means you’re in close proximity to other tenants and may experience significant foot traffic; these contributing factors can make intrusions and burglaries difficult to detect without a reliable apartment security system. In addition to a security system, you can protect your rental space with these steps:
- Research local crime.
- Ensure all your lights work.
- Change your door locks.
- Make sure the grounds outside of your apartment are kept up.
- Bolster any sliding doors.
- Install blinds or curtains, and close them when you’re not at home.
- Consider pursuing renter’s insurance.
When coupled with the right alarm system, these measures can help improve your sense of security when renting.
Thanks to WiFi-connected smart home technology, it's now easier than ever to keep an eye on your apartment while enjoying the conveniences of smart home automation. Connect your apartment’s smart security system to devices like smart lights, thermostats and more. You don’t have to forfeit your security deposit to enjoy the advantages of a security system.