As 2019 comes to a close, the Xfinity TV editors have compiled a list of the best films that premiered this year. From franchise favorites to Hollywood originals, 2019 had a lot to offer in cinema, both in theatres and on streaming services like Netflix. Read on and learn more about the best movies of 2019!
The best movies of 2019
- Avengers: Endgame - Avengers: Endgame was undoubtedly the biggest blockbuster event of the summer, making it our top choice for the best movies of 2019. A thrilling end to the Avengers saga, this star-studded Marvel hit stunned audiences across the globe. Haven’t seen how the saga ends? You can check it out here on Xfinity Stream.
- Downton Abbey - Downton Abbey made its return not to television, but to screens across the globe with a feature-length film in 2019, much to the original series fans’ delight and surprise. This mannerly drama/romance details the King and Queen’s visit to the Crawley family’s estate, and fans of the show won’t be disappointed.
- Booksmart - A coming-of-age comedy, Booksmart made its mark in 2019 cinema. Starring Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein as two academic superstars on the verge of graduation, the film follows the duo as they attempt to work less and play more before their high school days officially come to an end. Catch this all-out comedic romp here on Xfinity Stream.
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - One of the wildest films of the year (per director Quentin Tarantino’s signature style), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood chronicles the day-to-day life of a has-been Hollywood actor and his best friend/stunt double in the late 1960’s. However, things get interesting for the duo once budding star Sharon Tate and director husband Roman Polanski move in to the mansion next door, culminating in a surprise ending featuring everyone from Bruce Lee to the notorious Manson Family.
- Us - Jordan Peele’s second feature-length film was sure to impress (after the success of his directorial debut film, Get Out), and Us surely did so. Featuring a star-studded cast (Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke), Us is a horrifying tale of doppelgängers come to life that will leave you feeling uneasy for days (or weeks) on end. Check it out here on Xfinity Stream.
- Ford v Ferrari - Academy Award-winners Matt Damon and Christian Bale star in this driven sports drama, which chronicles an automotive designer and race car driver’s attempt to beat Enzo Ferrari in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France circa 1966. Through battling their personal demons and corporate debacles, the team struggle to cross the finish line in a revolutionary Ford Motor Co. vehicle.
- Between Two Ferns: The Movie - Zach Galifianakis has spent many years at the helm of the web series Between Two Ferns, and now, there’s a Netflix Original movie to add to the mix! Starring Galifianakis and a host of celebrity guests, Between Two Ferns: The Movie is a hilarious joyride from start to finish (and, yes, it has Chrissy Teigen in it).
- Always be my Maybe - Starring Ali Wong and Randall Park, this Netflix Original rom com isn’t your traditional love story. Featuring a surreal (yet awesome) Keanu Reeves scene and plenty of laughs, this Bay Area tale of romance finds two childhood sweethearts as adults living in totally different worlds.
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Another Netflix Original, El Camino picks up where the Breaking Bad franchise left off (SPOILER ALERT)— after Walter White’s death. The film follows Jesse Pinkman in the days following Heisenberg’s demise and his own escape from captivity. Fans of the original series will love this return to the franchise, which offers a satisfying answer to the questions left behind by the original series finale.
- Spider-Man: Far From Home - Another Marvel favorite, Spider-Man: Far From Home finds Peter Parker in a dilemma when Nick Fury shows up in his European hotel to recruit him for a mission. Watch as Spider-Man fights off four elemental space creatures (and tries to navigate teenage life) along with Fury, Mysterio, and more. If you haven’t seen this web-slinging thriller yet, you can check it out here on Xfinity Stream.
- The Great Hack - Last but not least, one final Netflix Original rises to take a spot on the list of best movies of 2019: The Great Hack. A documentary focused on a big-data company and the dark side of social media, The Great Hack studies Cambridge Analytica and other big-tech companies in the wake of the 2016 presidential election.
If you’re ready to do a pop-culture round-up as the year comes to an end, these movies are a great place to start. From heart-warming and hilarious to filled to the brim with action and adventure, these movies are among the best of 2019. Just say “Best of 2019” into your Xfinity Voice Remote to start watching.